Thursday, April 26, 2007

A Year Ago, Today

I woke up at Brittany's house filled with excitement and anticipation. After nine months of homesickness, FINALLY, I was meeting the movers at my new apartment in Durham.

Haha. Coming home wasn't what I expected.
Not in the least.

I didn't think I'd fall in love with Charleston before I left, never dreamt I would meet and then have to leave a guy I'd take seriously, had no clue that on days that the weather is just right and the breeze is cool I'd feel a physical longing to stand on the Battery overlooking Charleston Harbor or walk along the beach at the Isle of Palms.
I definitely never thought I'd meet some of my closest friends there. And, let's just take a moment to talk about how crazy it is that Angela moved into Mt. Pleasant as I was moving out!

Charleston is a place I could live again. I think I learned to appreciate my life while I was there. I began to really value and treasure the people I loved because when you are seperated it makes the time you do get so much more special. I also learned to enjoy the life I had.

However, Durham welcomed me back with open arms and has been full of surprises. For now, I am still glad to be home.
For every one thing I miss in the Lowcountry there were a hundred things that I missed here.

Random movie nights in front of one big screen or the other, dressing up Sarah's cats, knowing every exit number on I-40, Alisha, the Dean Dome and everyone else right down the street...my parents less than two hours away...Moving home has been nothing like I thought it would be but I think, in the end, I'll like God's story of my life better than I would have chosen for myself. I just need to keep believing...

1 comment:

sarahanne said...

Welcome Home!
In addition to me being thrilled that you came back, Applejack and Zoƫ are thrilled as well. Can't you tell from the look on Applejack's face in that picture?
; )