Thursday, May 31, 2007

Age old problem

"He asked me if I sucked on lemons and I said, 'No', and then thought, 'What do you think I am, a sailor?' "

When someone told me this a few days ago I had to laugh myself in appreciation. Some days, it is a relief to know there are people out there who are literate. I love it when people pull out some of the slightly more obscure things in life and throw it on the table with the expectation that it is common knowledge.

I think scurvy was my favorite disease when I was growing up. There is something very cool about it. Also, being from Florida we have orange groves in my family so citrus has always been such a big deal and I like the dramatic.
.
A lazy day watching TV became an entertainment opportunity. "Mom, would you peel me an orange? WHAT?! You won't?! But what if I get scurvy?! (Fling myself on floor and start my interpretation of that with a lot of wailing for effect.) You wouldn't want that would you?? Your own flesh and blood?"
.
But then, today I got an email with the subject, "All About Gout". What? I thought that was something rich white men with the wine dribbling out of the corners of their mouth and down their chin died of in my British Literature books. Guess what, friends, gout is back.

Here was my favorite quote from the article:
"If you suspect you may have gout, schedule an appointment with your doctor today. You don't have to just live with the pain."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"I thought that was something rich white men with the wine dribbling out of the corners of their mouth and down their chin died of in my British Literature books."

LOL...

I'm not sure what my favorite disease was back then, but I did think that kidney disease was a disease had by kids....

Kristinmichelle said...

OH, you win, Eddie!