Friday, February 09, 2007

Adventures in Babysitting

Somehow, I ended up taking Jonesy's place with the elementary boys tonight at the aXcess sponsored Parents' Date Night. For $5 per kid, the parents could drop them off at the church from 6-10pm and we entertained them.

I was wearing a long, velvet skirt and had sheepdog puppet, Vito, expecting to be hugging 5 year olds. Instead, I ended up with a bunch of ROWDY 8-11 year olds. At one point, when a brawl broke out in the middle of a game of trainwreck, I was trying to verbally break it up but it was like flies on food on a hot summer's day. More and more just kept joining. I was standing over the huge, writhing pile of boys and finally said, "Don't make me come down there and pull you off of each other. That would be embarassing to get wrestled to the ground by a girl."


BAD choice of words. It was taken as a challenge.


They yelled, "OKAY! LET'S DO IT" and, "GET HER!" Then, two grabbed me from behind and three reached up, almost pulling me down into the pile. Cole had to literally pull them off of me.


Kids are so fun. That's what I get for putting Amy & Chris's nephews in airplane spins when I first came into the room.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

how did you post at 10pm? I was still knee deep in rug rats at that time. do you remember the elizabeth shue movie with the same title as your post? i think we should have 80's movie night and do dinner sometime... thoughts?

Kristinmichelle said...

I like the 80s movie night idea. I do remember the movie which is what made me choose the title! I think that is an event that we need to invite all the Queens of the Eighties to come. Those Poppy Trail girls, for sure! I feel Sandra is a child of the 80s, as well.

haha. I actually posted AFTER the Cheesecake Factory so it was sometime around 1pm.

Amere1 said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe I missed all of this just by being out of town! Queens of the Eighties - yahoooooo!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry! Having mostly boys is a nightmare if you don't have things planned to keep them preoccupied, and even if you do, maintaining control can be a bear... For three hours?! Lord have mercy! Thank God for Cole picking up my slack! Hehe... (gulp)

Kristinmichelle said...

It wasn't bad. Just funny. I always babysat boys. And John was VERY ROWDY growing up!