Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Exchanging Stereotypes...Humans are Inherantly Evil

I'm posting this because I think it is hilariously funny and more than a little extremist. However, having come out of the most socially progressive major at UNC, I can't help but finding it completely ironic. We are taught TOLERANCE, TOLERANCE, TOLERANCE but there is one people group that slandering is not only allowed but completely encouraged.

Names and Countries changed to protect the prejudiced:

Hello girls,

I have already met my nemesis. I was in the crowded NYC airport, full of anxious people trying to get on planes that weren't landing or taking off. While waiting in the terminal, I heard a voice. It was the voice of the Ugly American. The college student who thought that world was her oyster, and that everyone was out to make her life convenient. In a high, shrieky voice like nails on a chalk board, she said, "I wanna go to Tuscany, definitely, and like Rome, and maybe...blah blah blah blah blah." I instantly knew, before even turning around, that the owner of the voice was a college student going on the same program I was going on. Even though she was about 20 feet away from me, I heard her voice loud & clear because she shamelessly forced her voice above the crowd, as if she wanted to exert her wealth and superiority at being able to study abroad in Italy. For the next hour, I did everything to get away from her, and refused to introduce myself even though I knew that we would be spending the next 4 months together. After finally getting on the plane, more bad news: she was sitting right behind me. I had to listen to her obnoxious voice for the entire 10 hour trip, plus the 3 hours we spent in NYC waiting for the plane to be de-iced. We finally departed, and after a few more unending hours she shut up. Eventually we landed in Munich,the site of more bad news: she was on my flight from Munich to Rome,which wouldn't depart until 8 hours later. Fortunately for me, she lived up to her Ugly American stereotype and decided to spend 20 euros on cheap beer that tasted like pee at the airport, so I had time to myself. But at this point I still hadn't spoken to her? I had just listened to her annoying voice for hours. After we arrived in Rome and had collected our bags, the kids from my program gathered together, and sure enough she was one of them. As we were waiting for a taxi, the inevitable conversation happened: Who are you and where do you go to school? We went around introducing ourselves, and finally the moment of truth: she introduced herself. I knew that whatever school she said she was from, I would not allow my kids, or any other kids I knew, to even get within 10 minutes of it. I knew that the school she was going to for higher education was an elitist, self-worshiping escape to throw away loads of money. Then she spoke, "My name is Cindy Loo Who, and I go to Duke." Suddenly my life made sense. I may not have understood the Italian signs all around me, or what the Italian taxi cab driver was yelling at me, but I understood this: that no parent should ever allow a child to go to Duke. I have also decided that no matter how many times she may try to friend me on facebook, I will never accept because I refuse to have even (1) friend from Duke.

Julia

Found this...at least we are starting to draw the line somewhere! I'd like to take this moment to express my personal love and appreciation for my Duke friends... we just can't watch basketball together!

No comments: