Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Feast or Famine


My job took me to the Grove Park Inn & Spa Resort in Asheville, NC this week. It is one of the most famous hotels in the South.

I spent the night in the old part of the hotel. So, now I can say that I've been there. I'm sure it would be a wonderful place to vacation. However, at the end of the work day, a hotel is still not your own bed. And "quaint" can actually be down right annoying when you are traveling on business.

When I've got 10 minutes to get to a business meeting, running in 4 inch stillettos, and I'm still 8 minutes away from the ballroom, that unexpected extra ten minutes is unwelcomed while I wait for the antique elevator to come slowly down complete with the elevator operator who has to slide open the door, get out, and let you in.

Also, when traveling for business, I DO NOT want to valet park my car. They don't give you receipts so you can't expense it, the bell hops take TOO LONG, and when you are there with a conference, after the meeting dismisses you have hundreds of people headed to the valet stand. Talk about long lines. Give me my keys, I'll go find my own car!

I was REALLY looking forward to sitting in front of the 14 ft tall fireplace in the lobby on Monday night, drinking coffee and reading. Apparently, 150 other people from my group had the same idea and another 70 were attracted to the bar in the same area so it turned into another big mixer after the foodshow that night. So, I pushed my way through the crowd (kind of saw some occasional flickers of firelight through all the bodies) and found an empty seat beside Chad at the bar so I could at least order my espresso. People were literally standing 15 deep at the bar so I was walled in for awhile and I got to talk to everybody. I also got a lot of this, "Hey, tell the bartender I want another seven and seven!"..."MERLOT! HEY, I NEED A MERLOT! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? CHAD, TELL HIM WHO I AM!....WHAT??!! HE DOESN'T KNOW WHO I AM?? WELL, TELL HIM WHO YOU ARE...I NEED A MERLOT FOR THIS CUSTOMER."...."Speaking of things I can't get...where are my turkeys this year? Why is there a shortage?"

1 comment:

Kristinmichelle said...

Hahaha...

It was. That was fun, too.

And I feel completely vindicated bc when I was hanging out with Jenny she said, "Yeah, the Grove Park Inn isn't luxurious, it is OLD."

THANK YOU!