Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Home but not quite...

Here's the whirlwind tour:

Three nights in Rome, two nights in Venice, three nights in Florence, two nights in Cinque Terre, two nights in Switzerland, two nights in Paris, four nights in London.

It is still crazy to me that Sandra and I missed each other by just a few days in London!! I also went to see the play Wicked since John and Alisha hadn't seen it yet. I think Jonesy was also in town. Crazy.

It was a fabulous trip. I was surprised by my reaction to the different cities. My favorite places (in order of greatest to least) were London, Paris, Rome, Switzerland, Cinque Terre, Florence and Venice. I was really thinking, "I need to learn French and move to Paris" but then once I got to London it was, "Forget Paris! I love London and already speak the language!" I'm totally in love with British culture. For those of you who don't know, my second major was English with a concentration in British literature. The BBC spellbinds me and I enjoy all the little differences in their vocab and accent.

I ADORE ROME. I just fell in love with the history merging with the present. You've got to love a city where it is impossible to have a subway because everytime they started digging ancient artifacts and new civilizations were found. Religon is so strong there. I don't know what I think about it all just yet but it leaves an impression on you.

My favorite attraction of the whole trip, hands down, was Vatican City. I was incredibly moved by those buildings. I'm not sure if because it really is holy ground or because the church of St. Peter is so grand that it really does make you look Heavenward.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! Sounds great. Yeah, London is awsome.. It's like a giant amusement park with free admission. :)